Soon many people will soon get their first riding of the season. There are a few things to remember:
- Hitting rocks and stumps is a real danger. Don't end your season before it starts with an injury from hitting one of these obstacles.
- Avalanches are a real possibility. It doesn't matter if you are hiking, hunting, skiing, etc., be prepared with rescue gear and a partner. Many people have died during early season snow storms. Listen to this podcast episode about a bad day in November 2011 when many avalanches were triggered and pro skier Jamie Pierre died. https://utahavalanchecenter.org/blog/33854
- Ski resorts all have different uphill travel policies. Some are closed, like Snowbird, others are open. These closed resorts can be great places to get in a little skiing especially in you know of a rock free slope, but it should be treated as backcountry terrain. More info HERE but check with each resort for the latest info.
2019 Banff Mountain Film Festival Night in Moab
- Oct 5th through Oct 6th, 2019. This is a fundraiser for the Moab Office of the UAC. Tickets and more info HERE
12th Annual Utah Snow and Avalanche Workshop - USAW will be November 2nd this year.
- Register HERE for the regular Saturday session.
- There is a special morning session on Saturday specifically for snowmobilers. Register for that session HERE.
- Lastly there is a special session designed for avalanche workers like ski patrollers on Friday to cover work related topics. Register for that session HERE.
Boondockers 16 Utah Premiere and Fundraiser
- October 26th at the Brewvies. Get tickets HERE