Ad
Observation Date: 
02/17/2018
Observer Name: 
Bill Brandt
Region: 
Ogden
Location Name or Route: 
Ben Lomond Peak to Cutler Basin
Weather
Sky: 
Scattered
Wind Direction: 
Southwest
Wind Speed: 
Moderate
Weather Comments: 
Moderate winds with strong gusts on approach to Ben Lomond summit. Wind and blowing snow limited visability intermitttantly. Not much wind at the start of the tour. Blue skies became overcast by 3 pm.
Snow Characteristics
New Snow Depth: 
4"
New Snow Density: 
Medium
Snow Surface Conditions: 
Powder
Wind Crust
Melt-Freeze Crust
Snow Characteristics Comments: 

Soft snow on surface with a firm icy base. New snow was graupel and rimed stellars. Wind had scoured surface to hard and icy old snow surface. Wind slabs were mostly soft , but firming up as the day progressed. New snow was well bonded to old snow surface. The approach through North Fork Park is very thin. We had to remove our skis and walk on the gravel road and summer trail several times. The only viable exit route is the summer trail. Not enough snow and to much brush below 6800 ft.

Red Flags
Red Flags: 
Recent Avalanches
Wind Loading
Cracking
Poor Snowpack Structure
Red Flags Comments: 
The wind was the biggest factor today. The wind was moving a lot of snow on the upper reaches of the peak. We skied a fairly wind protected line with out much slab formation. Several ski cuts produced no results on steep slopes near the top of the peak. About 2/3's of the way down the NE face we encountered significant cross loading and wind slabs. Gulley walls were cracking and small skier released wind slabs were running short distances. We skied small subridges safely to the bottom. In retrospect I became more uncomfortable with our decision to ski this slope as the snow became more unstable lower towards Cutler Basin. If we had more than 4 inches of new snow we would have been in real trouble. Stability was very different at the top of the slope, where we made our decision to ski, than near the bottom.
Avalanche Problem #1
Type: 
Wind Slab
Problem #1 Comments: 

Yes it was windy. The red flags were there, but not registering today.

3. Winds on upper peak.

1 & 2. Some natural slide debris in Cutler Basin.

4 & 5. A couple of many skier triggered cracks .

Today's Observed Danger Rating: 
Considerable
Tomorrows Estimated Danger Rating: 
Considerable
Snow Profile Coordinates: 
Ad

Support the Avalanche Center through your purchases

Discount lift tickets
All proceeds from ticket sales benefit the UAC when you purchase your next lift tickets.
Lift tickets available in November
Need new gear?
Make your next purchase from our Affiliate Partners and the UAC will receive a portion of the sales.
Shop
Sign up for our newsletters, emails and daily forecasts to stay up to date.
Subscribe