11th Annual Utah Snow & Avalanche Workshop Open and Motorized Sessions Oct. 27th.
Ad
Observation Date: 
1/9/2018
Observer Name: 
B
Location Name or Route: 
Brighton Perimeter/Twin Lakes Pass
Weather
Sky: 
Overcast
Precipitation: 
Light Snowfall
Wind Direction: 
Southwest
Wind Speed: 
Moderate
Weather Comments: 
Rain/snow line hovered at 8500 feet throughout the day, and began lowering slightly around 1800. Temperatures were unseasonably warm, and at 8000 feet the high was in the low 40's. Rain and snow were steady throughout the entire day. Winds were in the moderate range at mid and upper elevations with the ridge lines registering velocities that prompted moderate wind blown and or transport. Minimal cornice development due to the high densities of the new snow.
Snow Characteristics
New Snow Depth: 
5"
New Snow Density: 
High
Snow Surface Conditions: 
Dense Loose
Wind Crust
Damp
Snow Characteristics Comments: 

The new snow was wet and or damp all the way up to 9500 feet, and even above that the high densities made the new snow thick and slow for riding. Trail breaking was thick in many places with the 30 cm fo fist hard old faceted snow being buried by the dense new snow. 

Red Flags
Red Flags: 
Heavy Snowfall
Wind Loading
Cracking
Rapid Warming
Poor Snowpack Structure
Avalanche Problem #1
Type: 
Persistent Weak Layer
Trend: 
Increasing Danger
Problem #1 Comments: 

The primary concern continues to be avalanches initiating on at least the 1/6 interface, and possibly down to the pre Christmas weak interface. At 2100 hours on Tuesday we are approaching the 1 inch SWE mark and we may be at a tipping point by Wednesday morning if the forecast verifies. Bridging from the warm storm today may serve as a poor indicator of stability, and this may allow for the possibility to get out further on to a slope than expected before avalanche release, failure and propagation. Natural activity may be occurring overnight, and with additional weight and loading on Wednesday this possibility  appears likely and slides may be large.

Wet loose and Wet Slab activity was very possible today at 8000 feet and below. 

Avalanche Problem #2
Type: 
Wind Drifted Snow
Problem #2 Comments: 

As noted in the slide reported from the Meadow Chutes, as well as indicated by moderate to strong wind speeds noted by upper elevation remote anemometers, wind slab development appears likely. Again, naturals may be possible overnight and into Wednesday. 

If the forecast is exceeded on Wednesday and storm snow totals ramp up past 20 inches the danger rating may hit High on Wednesday during periods of high PI. Regardless, Considerable appears very likely. 

Today's Observed Danger Rating: 
Considerable
Tomorrows Estimated Danger Rating: 
Considerable
Snow Profile Coordinates: 
Ad

Support the Avalanche Center through your purchases

Discount lift tickets
All proceeds from ticket sales benefit the UAC when you purchase your next lift tickets.
Lift tickets available in November
Need new gear?
Make your next purchase from our Affiliate Partners and the UAC will receive a portion of the sales.
Shop
Sign up for our newsletters, emails and daily forecasts to stay up to date.
Subscribe