Ad
Observation Date: 
12/22/2017
Observer Name: 
Catino
Region: 
Salt Lake
Location Name or Route: 
Brighton>RockyPt>Dog Lake
Weather
Sky: 
Overcast
Wind Direction: 
West
Wind Speed: 
Moderate
Weather Comments: 
Sunny in the morning, but when I was out the overcast clouds and prefrontal winds WSW began to churn.
Snow Characteristics
New Snow Depth: 
4"
Snow Surface Conditions: 
Powder
Dense Loose
Snow Characteristics Comments: 
Mixed bag out there with yesterdays NE winds blasting Sunset Pk and Rocky Point, and now stirring from the other direction. Snow was blowing around and seemed less and more settled than yesterday's riding in LCC.
Red Flags
Red Flags: 
Wind Loading
Poor Snowpack Structure
Red Flags Comments: 
Went back to where Bruce and I dug a pit during the 12/4 storm [North facing Martha Bowl; at 9900' around 33 degrees]. Found the same crust [approx 25 to 30cm below the surface] which caused an ECTP, but it was decomposing. However, I was still able to get an ECTN around 14 and 15. It wasn't the quick Q1 shear, hence the two taps to get it to go, and more like a Q2, but it broke below the crust again. For reference on how much it would take to break into the junk below, I continued with my elbow taps and on 18, the whole column collapsed, failing on the facets near the ground and below the dirty graupel layer.
Avalanche Problem #1
Type: 
Wind Slab
Problem #1 Comments: 
With winds ramping up again, these will need to be watched. I did see some cross loading and a fairly stout wind slab while cutting across from Brighton to Martha Bowl, and with more snow in the forecast these will become buried. Also noticed some minor wind drifting atop Rocky Pt from WSW winds and also atop the Dog Lake Chutes, opting to ski the skiers left and avoiding the fresh wind bulb at the top for good measure.
Avalanche Problem #2
Type: 
Persistent Slab
Trend: 
Increasing Danger
Problem #2 Comments: 
No surprise here, but with still not enough to tip the scale we'll need more than a few inches of duff. Maybe a couple of these storms and wind will finally wake the dragon.
Comments: 
Photos of snow pit and crust that may still be the layer of concern when we add some weight, with perhaps initial failures happening there then stepping down. Second photo of the stout wind slab from crossloading. Listed considerable for tomorrow for slopes on the north end of the compass if we receive a significant load.
Observer email: 
erme.catino@gmail.com
Today's Observed Danger Rating: 
Moderate
Tomorrows Estimated Danger Rating: 
Considerable
Snow Profile Coordinates: 
Ad

Support the Avalanche Center through your purchases

Discount lift tickets
All proceeds from ticket sales benefit the UAC when you purchase your next lift tickets.
Lift tickets available in November
Need new gear?
Make your next purchase from our Affiliate Partners and the UAC will receive a portion of the sales.
Shop
Sign up for our newsletters, emails and daily forecasts to stay up to date.
Subscribe