Observation Date: 
Observer Name: 
C Brown
Location Name or Route: 
Upper Weber Canyon
Moderate Snowfall
Wind Direction: 
Wind Speed: 
Weather Comments: 
Clear skies in the morning gave way to snow squalls in the afternoon. The snow would come and go, but the heavier periods were reminisent of yesterday's overproducing storm. Occisonal sucker holes would tease through the afternoon. Fairly light winds and moderate gusts, and some moderate winds observed on the higher ridge lines.
Snow Characteristics
New Snow Density: 
Snow Surface Conditions: 
Snow Characteristics Comments: 

Lots of snow has piled up since Monday morning.  Tracks from yesterday were pretty well filled in today with a couple of inches on new snow during the day, definitely more than the 1-2" forecasted.  Another welcome over-producing storm with nice cold temps, keeping the snow in great shape.

Red Flags
Red Flags: 
Recent Avalanches
Heavy Snowfall
Wind Loading
Red Flags Comments: 
Observed some snow transport happening on the ridgelines today loading easterly slopes. Saw evidence of some widespread natural sluffing from during the storm mostly on upper elevation steep easterly slopes and some small pockets of soft wind slabs that had happened during the storm. Saw one larger pocket that had pulled out last night or early this morning by the looks of it that was probably an outlier. Wind slab was on a SE aspect about 10,400' and appeared to be triggered by a small cornice fall. Dimensions were large comapred to other activity observed, about 100~150' crown, 2' deep and the visable staunchwall was about 300' below the crown, probably approaching size 1.5~2. Had periods moderate snowfall through the day.
Avalanche Problem #1
Wind Slab
Increasing Danger
Problem #1 Comments: 

Wind slabs seemed to be the main concern, but were settling out quickly.  Although slopes were continuing to load during the day with the precip and wind transport.  By the looks of the one larger avalanche observed I would think these could be getting up to or over 2' deep in a few places.  For the most part they seemed like small pockets about 12" deep.

Avalanche Problem #2
Increasing Danger
Problem #2 Comments: 

The corni are continuing to grow, and have grown substantially in the last 2-3 days.  Practice avoidance for these beasts.


Some pictures of the one larger pocket observed, with some large cornice looming above.  Hazard seemed mostly moderate today with pockets of considerable.  Would expect somewhat similar tomorrow unless we get more weight on the pack from either additional snowfall or wind transport.

Today's Observed Danger Rating: 
Tomorrows Estimated Danger Rating: 
Snow Profile Coordinates: 

Support the Avalanche Center through your purchases

Discount lift tickets
All proceeds from ticket sales benefit the UAC when you purchase your next lift tickets.
Lift tickets available in November
Need new gear?
Make your next purchase from our Affiliate Partners and the UAC will receive a portion of the sales.
Sign up for our newsletters, emails and daily forecasts to stay up to date.