Observation: Moab

Observation Date
01/8/2017
Observer Name
Dave Garcia

Region:

Location Name or Route
Corkscrew
Weather
Sky
Overcast
Precipitation
Light Snowfall
Wind Direction
Southwest
Wind Speed
Moderate
Weather Comments
Snow was intermittent through the morning. It died off this afternoon. Maybe 1 inch total accumulation on the day. Temperatures were pretty warm and it felt pretty humid up there today. Lots of moisture in the air. Rime that had melted off the lower trees due to warm temperatures in the morning had reformed by the afternoon.
Snow Characteristics
New Snow Depth
1"
New Snow Density
Medium
Snow Surface Conditions
Powder
Dense Loose
Snow Characteristics Comments
One inch of new snow fell during the day today, and maybe 1 inch over night. Storm totals are now 8 to 10 inches in sheltered spots. The snow that has been piling up all week is medium density powder that is making for some great skiing.
Red Flags
Red Flags
Wind Loading
Red Flags Comments
We were pretty sheltered from the wind today until we got to the ridge top. Winds were moderate up high. Wind loading is definitely still happening in the high elevations. Heading into tomorrow you will still need to be on the lookout for fresh wind drifts as the winds are forecast to continue through the night and into tomorrow.
Avalanche Problem #1
Type
Wind Slab
Trend
Increasing Danger
Problem #1 Comments
As stated wind slab will still be an issue heading into tomorrow and the next couple of days. They will be most pronounced on N and E facing slopes, but as always look for cross loading and localized wind drifts on all aspects in the high elevations
Avalanche Problem #2
Type
Storm Slab
Trend
Increasing Danger
Problem #2 Comments
I think the crew of five that skied Corkscrew yesterday (Saturday) really hit the nail on the head with their stability evaluation of the corkscrew area. Skiing out there today I can confirm their reports of a relatively stable snow pack. We ski cut and actively skied a lot of steep terrain out there today and enjoyed fun skiing in stable conditions. Keep in mind Corkscrew is generally pretty sheltered from wind and sun compared to a lot of the terrain we ski in the high elevations off Laurel Highway. You will find a lot more variation in snow pack depth and structure and more influence from the wind in the higher elevations. The one thing that may have changed from yesterday to today is the consistency of the storm snow. With the warm and humid temperatures today, the surface snow became more consolidated and if this continues I could see the surface snow acting as a slab. As I dropped into the very last pitch of the day today Travis noticed shooting cracks in the surface snow, something to be aware of as we are forecast to get more snow tomorrow into Tuesday. New snow instablities and storm slab will be something to look out for if we receive the forecasted numbers. I think the overall danger today was moderate, and tomorrow will start out moderate and could change to considerable if the storm delivers.
Today's Observed Danger Rating
Moderate
Tomorrows Estimated Danger Rating
Moderate
Snow Profile Coordinates