In partnership with: The Friends of the Utah
Wednesday, April 23, 2003
Good afternoon. This is Bruce Tremper with the
In the upper elevations about 2-4 inches of fresh snow fell yesterday with rain below about 7,500’. It was enough to freshen things up and it was quite nice today with dust on supportable crust above about 9,500’ and the underlying snow was a little mushy below about 9,000’ but still nice. The ridge top temperatures have cooled down to the lower 20’s from near 30 yesterday and the 9,000’ temperatures are around 30.
The avalanche conditions remain fairly dull. With the exception of some sluffing of the new snow on the steep slopes, most of the underlying snow is fairly stable. The only problems I can see is if one of these sluffs of new snow takes you over a cliff or into a terrain trap like a gully. Also, at elevations below about 9,500’, the snow is quite mushy and if you bulldozed the snow into a pile on a steep slope, it might gouge down and make a deeper, wet avalanche, but so far it seems to be staying place fairly well. We’re supposed to get a little more new snow this afternoon and evening from a few more spring showers, but I don’t think they will amount to much.
For tonight and Thursday, the
avalanche danger is generally LOW. With
strong heating by the sun on Thursday, the avalanche danger from damp to wet
sluffs may rise to MODERATE
on steep, sun exposed slopes, especially in the heat of the afternoon. If we get more than about 8 inches of new
snow overnight, you can bump the danger ratings up a no
We should have a short-lived ridge for Thursday, which should give us mostly sunny skies in the mountains and warmer temperatures. After a shallow freeze tonight, the 8,000’ temperature should get up into the lower 50’s and the 10,000’ temperatures should be in the upper 30’s. Winds should be from the southwest and become stronger on Thursday night and Friday.
For the extended forecast, we have another spring storm heading mostly north of us for Friday and Saturday but it looks like it will nip us enough to give us some pulses of snow in the mountains with rain in the valleys. Then, there should be a little break on Sunday and another pulse on Monday.
Since the avalanche and weather conditions are fairly benign, we will wait a couple days before updating this forecast again. We will probably put more information on for Friday afternoon. Then we will finally pull the plug on the avalanche advisories for the season after this weekend.
To report backcountry snow and avalanche conditions, especially if you observe or trigger an avalanche, call (801) 524-5304 or 1-800-662-4140, or email to [email protected] or fax to 801-524-6301. The information in this advisory is from the U.S. Forest Service, which is solely responsible for its content. This advisory describes general avalanche conditions and local variations always occur.
Evelyn Lees will update this advisory on Friday afternoon.
Thanks for calling!
For an explanation of avalanche danger ratings: