- Detailed Info
|Advisory: Moab Area Mountains||Issued by Max Forgensi for April 5, 2013 - 10:40am|
The Utah Avalanche Center-Moab has closed their doors for the season with plenty of snow left to slide upon in the La Sal Mountains.
For those smart enough to pack your skis with your mountain bikes and climbing gear when you head towards the Red Rock Desert remember a few rules to spring skiing.
1. Start early and end early. A 6:00 am start would get you up to the trail heads at 0700 and give you a few hours to summit your objective before the sun really starts to affect the snow.
2. Work the aspects. East aspects will corn up first with southerlies and westerlies coming in to play noon at the latest.
3. Ensure that the snow freezes the night before. Go to the WEATHER drop down menu and look at the Moab Weather Page. Pre-Laurel Peaks Weather station is in a good location to check temperatures.
4. If you start to punch through or sink in with your skis greater than mid-boot, it is time to get off that slope.
5. Enjoy the desert after lunch!
Have a fun, safe spring skiing season and look forward to next year!